Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Update

Yeah, it's taken me too long to update on my f/u with my RE but lately it's just been easier for me to not think about anything.
The appt went well overall and I just love my RE. He is wonderful with an amazing bedside manner. He's methodical and scientific and straightforward but he does it with such compassion. All REs should really be like him.
Anyway, the end of it all is basically I fell into the 30% that don't get pregnant. There were some things he changed for next cycle if I decide to have one. I was taking flax seed for my lining- bad idea as it could have messed up the absorption of the Estrace I was taking and could have caused issues with my E2 levels. My second E2 level showed a drop and this could have been why. They increased my Estrace after that but I shouldn't have been taking the flax seed as it contains lot of estrogen and should not be taken when on the Estrace. So I won't be doing that next time. We talked about the transfer- I have a tricky cervix so they do the best they can to make it as easy as transfer as possible which they did. My bladder could have been too full which could press and vibrate on the uterus making not the most friendly environment for a transfer. Also, they are giving me Valium next time. There may not be evidence that it relaxes the uterus but it will relax me and that's really what counts. My lining looked great and basically could not have been better. Yes, there was a drop in E2 but my lining kept thickening which is why they wern't concerned. We'll stick with the pills for the FET but on day 12 if my E2 is not good we will either scrap it and start again or do the estrogen shots for another 6 days and see if my E2 goes up. He also got me with a surprise endometrial bipsy. Yikes. Not fun but if we wanted to cross out T's and dot our and make sure there is no inflammation. It hurt and I still don't feel right 5 days later. Boy did I cramp for a couple of days after. Results should be in tomorrow or so but I'm telling you there is nothing there.
So, I asked about immune issues and he agreed it was a good question but does not feel it's my issue. Most if these immune issues manifest themselves with rejection of the placenta or protein or something and since I don't have a placenta he doesn't think that's my issue. My gut tells me it's not too but really, what do I know?
He also talked about possible issues with sperm. So he compared my cycles with embryos compared to this donor cycle. What a freaking difference. I mean there just wasn't any comparison.This alone was enough evidence to rule out sperm issues.
So, why didn't it work? Luck? Bad luck? This has to be it. I asked him what we are really doing different this next cycle? His answer- different embryos. Makes sense. The ones they put back for the FET could be the ones that would have worked had they put that one back during the fresh transfer. You just don't know.
I still don't know if I want to even do this again. We have 5 really good frosties but I don't know if I can take the pain again if it doesn't work. It's been really, really hard and so painful. I pray that somehow the answer comes to me. I am waiting until we go to Aruba in December to talk to DH about all of this. Lots of alcohol and the beach may bring me some clarity. For the first time in my life I really feel like I could just walk away from it all and be OK. I just hate the "what if's?"

I also need to stop looking up FET success rates and FET stories as it freaks me out when I see how many don't work. If any of you know of any DE or regular FET success stories I would really love to hear about them.

Thanks everyone for your constant support. It means the world.

d-

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely understand not posting for a bit, though I was getting a bit worried! :)

I'm glad he came up with some answers (sort of). I'm also glad you have your lovely vacation coming up - sounds wonderful. Time off and away is a good thing. There's no rush to make any decisions.

The only FET story I have is a reaction from our RE. When we were trying to coordinate our schedule with our 2nd donor (the first one who flaked)the original plan was for them to retrieve her eggs, combine with D's boys and freeze them until I was ready for the transfer. I said, "Yeah, but they'll be FROZEN. What're the odds THOSE will work?" in a sarcastic tone. He immediately shot back, "The same as a fresh cycle - you have read the statistics page, right?!" and actually sounded a bit hurt.

So, that's what my RE is saying. But I might have just hurt his feelings!

Take care of yourself, Danielle...

daisy said...

I'm so glad you posted. I have been thinking about you a lot. I am one of those women that had the DE bad luck. In this small circle there aren't many stories were fresh DE didn't work, absent any other idetified reason. But that was my story. I heard the same reasons from my RE that you heard from yours. I was really thinking that I had an undiagnosed problem...the teflon uterus I used to call it. Nothing sticks. But I finally did get lucky. I understand your pain and reluctance to try again. It's freekin hard! Emotionally, mentally, physically. At least you do have some idea what was effecting your E2, that's something! I am happy to tell you that I have heard of many FET then prego stories in the DE world. I'm glad you have those frozen embies to try. Take care, I'll be checking up on you. :)

Summer said...

I don't have any specific FET stories, but I know from lurking on DE boards that there are many, many examples where the fresh cycle does not work but the FETs do.

As for when to cycle, since your embryos are on ice, it won't really matter if you do your FET now or in a few months. So give yourself time and if/when you are ready, your frozen embryos will still be there.

Kate said...

Glad to hear your appt. went so well. It helps when your doctor is so caring and well-mannered. I think in time, you'll know what path you'll want to take and I wish for your peace of mind. Aruba will be wonderful in December!

Kami said...

All understandable emotions. I suspect some time away will give you the energy to try again. There is also nothing wrong with calling it good

shiner said...

People at my clinic that I still talk to have told me stories about people who have had FET work when the fresh cycle did not. Also, it seems like someone I blog with did FET and it worked, I'll do some digging. I am so glad you are going to Aruba, I am also very jealous! I hope you have a great time there...who wouldn't;o> Stay strong, it will come to you what's right for your specific situation.

nancy said...

I think you already know I'm a FET success story. In fact, I think freezing and thawing really shows the strength of embies and when you get one in you that went through all of that, you gotta know he's a tough cookie.

I understand how you feel about not knowing if you can take more failure. When I started my IVF and FET, I made a wish. My wish wasn't that I hoped to become pregnant. My wish was that my heart made it through the other side.

~hugs~ to you and good luck. Aruba. I'm so fucking jealous. :)

Sky said...

I know someone who had her son (6 years ago from a fresh cycle) and last year had 3 embryos left and decided to just toss them all back in (after 5 years of being frozen). She didn't necessarily want another child(ren) but couldn't bare the thought of discarding them. She has a little girl now. :)

And there are TONS of stories on the web of fresh failure but follow-up FET success. It's a little easier, for one thing, on a FET to manage the recipients cycle - the doctors can take their time with you and pull the plug if ANYTHING is going wrong. With the fresh, sometimes they have to say a Hail Mary prayer and just go for it because I imaging telling a woman they have to freeze the embryos after all of the time and expense spent - never mind the injections - will just set her off completely. I think they probably give it a chance even if her numbers aren't as perfect as they'd like them to be where with a FET, it's not as upsetting to say, not this month.

If you have to let it go, totally understand. But I think you might find that very difficult to reconcile - walking away from several embryos. At the very least, you'd do a FET and have them all thawed and put back in the top 3-4. Then you can say, Hey, I gave it all I had.

Wishing you peace and security with whatever decision you come to.

twondra said...

I found your blog through Stirrups. We've done 12 IUIs and had a failed IVF and are currently possibly looking into donor eggs. I wish you so much luck in your journey sweetie! (((HUGS)))


Tammy
www.twondra.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hey D,
I just got to reading your post, although a few weeks later... I was on the mainland.

Anyways, I'm glad that you had a good appt with the RE, he sounds like a good dr. I'm sorry the biopsy was so painful, I had one a few years ago and not fun at all!

As far as FET go, please check out this site: http://www.network54.com/Forum/247611/
It's a support site for women who've done DE and have been successful and or currently pg. There are many women on there who've had successful FET's, you can search or post for advice.

I pray you're still doing ok and that you have a wonderful vacation in Aruba, you definitely deserve it! Please take care of yourself...

hugs & prayers,
jojobee

shiner said...

I understand why you've been staying away but I just wanted you to know that I miss you. I hope you have a wonderful holiday though I know you are hurting. Know that you are in my prayers. (((hugs)))
Candace

Kim said...

I'm thinking of you this season and praying you are enjoying your much needed vacation. I will keep checking in here. I just posted my last blog entry. Hugs, Kim

Unknown said...

emotional post.. thanks for sharing and also check for best IVF centre in bangalore